So continuing on with our Pilates Beauties- Series Week 3. I think its time for my secret tips to help with common problems that all of us girls struggle with.
After being a glam-life girl for a while now, I have found several items that help to solve problems that we all experience. Does your foundation breakdown during the day, eye shadow crease, do you have large pores, dark under eye circle or get goopy globs in the corners of your mouth with lip gloss? Many of these problems can be solved by using the right prep and the right products. Sometimes though it is just trial and error until you find the right product for your skin type. Here are a few of my holy grail items that I have to have to keep my glam going all day- EVEN while doing Pilates. Don’t judge- I do like to look pretty while working out.
1. Face Primer– First things first. Just like your walls you must prime your face. Face primers go on after you moisturize. They help to keep your foundation IN PLACE all day, without breaking down. Apply your moisturizer let set and then you can apply your primer. Usually you should let that set too for a couple minutes. I have tested MANY of these primers to help deal with my oily T- zone problem. There are sooooo many to choose from when you go into the store- oil control, brightening, color correcting (for redness). You may have to test a few. Ask for samples. The ones I have found that work great are the Smash box Photo Finish Foundation Primer
(available at Ulta and Sephora) and the Boots No 7 Photo Fix Wrinkle Filler and Primer (available at Target and Ulta). These both work great to keep make up fresh all day. There are also spray primers. A highly recommended one by make-up artists is Skindinavia Make- up primer spray (available on line). It’s a bit pricier but it works. So if you have a wedding or special event you need to go to and have your face last all day, it’s worth the investment.
2. Eye Primer– SO just like your face you need to prime those lids. Eye shadow primer does a few things- smooths out your lids (if crepey lids are a problem), allows your shadows to go on with full color payoff, and keeps your eyeshadow from creasing all day. My favorites are Urban Decay Primer Potion. I use the anti-aging one or sometimes a tinted one called Eden. Eden hides blue veins if you have those. I also like the Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creaseless 12 hour Smoothing Eye primer. Both can be found at Ulta and Sephora. Since beginning to use these years ago I absolutely cannot live without them. Your eyeshadow will stay, and won’t budge all day. I even got dipped in the ocean while para-sailing in the Caribbean and my shadow was still ON.
3. Bye Bye Under-Eye (by IT Cosmetics) – Do you have dark circles under your eyes, age spots, scars? This stuff is amazing!! You can even hide tattoos with it. You only need a TINY, and I mean TINY bit of this to conceal any redness, blueness, or darkness anywhere on your face. I used it,after having a spot removed on my face, to hide post-surgery redness and it worked like a dream. This product has won many awards by the beauty magazines for how good it works. Use a brush to dab on and then you can either pat in with your finger or beauty blender sponge. Set with a light finishing powder. You can get this at Ulta or my preference QVC. At QVC it will come with the brush which is a huge bonus.
4. BUXOM Lip gloss– I love lip gloss but hate STICKY lip gloss that clumps in the corners of your mouth after talking for a bit. You’ve been there right? I usually will use a lipstick and put a bit of gloss in the center of my lip for a highlight. My favorite gloss, and it happens to be a plumping formula, is by Buxom. These lip-glosses are available at Ulta and Sephora and are great! I talk A LOT in a class and it keeps my lips moisturized and never leaves me feeling dry. You will get a slight tingling sensation when you apply, that’s the plumping happening. Give them a try. I think you’ll like them and there are TONS of colors to choose from. I’ve tried others but always go back to these.
5. Bye Bye Pores— As we age many of us will begin to notice our pores getting larger. This product from IT Cosmetics is a great finishing powder and also causes pores to disappear. It comes in a loose formula and a pressed (to take with you) The best way to apply a finishing powder is with a puff. I know – you’re thinking WHAT? Not a brush? Try it. Use a small bit of powder on a puff and press/roll it into your problem areas. This is available at Ulta and QVC or the IT cosmetics website.
6. Finishing Spray– Okay so you did all this beautiful make-up application. Now what? Your last step. A finishing spray. Much like the primers this last step helps lock in your foundation, powder and blushes for the long run. I have found 2 that work amazing. Urban Decay- All Nighter ( available at Ulta and Sephora) and Skindinavia- Finishing spray ( available on line) I don’t always use these sprays, but if I have a day when I know I do not have time for touch ups or I will be at a special event, I will use them.
7. Rose water spray– An alternative to the finishing spray could be a Rose Water spray. This is not only refreshing but will keep your skin looking dewy. If you’ve over done it with the powder, give yourself a spritz and it will make your powder melt into your skin and look natural again. When traveling, I carry a small bottle of this on the plane with me to mist my face and refresh my makeup. It also smells great and makes you feel like you just cleansed.
You can find Rose water sprays at Whole Foods, Better Health, and on line. Buy smaller containers at the drugstore for your purse and just fill.